Friday, August 8, 2014

Crumble Top Blueberry Muffins

   I live out in the country in Indiana and there is not much to do around here if you are not into nature.  Thankfully my family IS into nature and doing things outdoors so we enjoy fruit picking!  This year was our first year picking blueberries!  I had no idea how much work it was but also how relaxing it is.  You have to really get in to it to make sure you get the best berries!  Some bushes have a ton of awesome ones, some bushes have no good ones.  You just have to know what you are looking for.  My husband and I decided when we got to the patch that we were going to have a "biggest berry" contest so I was out to find the biggest juciest berry I could find.  I like to think I won the contest however we both filled our buckets with a ton of huge juicy berries.

   The berries at the patches by us are $1.50/lb.  Great price if you ask me.  Especially since there are soooooo many awesome recipes out there.  We came home with 6 lbs. of blueberries and paid $9.00 even.  To me, 6lbs. of berries didn't sound like much until I looked at all the recipes and seen that most recipes only call for 1 cup or so of berries.  This amazing blueberry muffin recipe is one of them!  I have made these muffins 3 times already and still have enough berries for at least 8 more batches but I plan to make a few other things with the remaining berries!  Anyway, here is the recipe!  Enjoy and please let me know how you like them!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins!

Ingredients:

1 1/2  cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
1 cup blueberries (can use frozen)

Topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oats (uncooked oatmeal)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter cubed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
place paper baking cups in a 12 muffin pan

In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Mix in melted butter, egg, and milk.  Fold in blueberries.

Mix all ingredients for topping in a seperate bowl. Mix in enough of the cubed butter to make a crumble.

Fill baking cups 3/4 of the way with the blueberry batter and top each with the crumble mixture.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving!


***NOTE***
I tried to make these without the paper cups and greased each muffin slot and the muffins stuck like crazy so I definitely recommend using the paper cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment